Starting with December 2020 and version 6.27.1 Ekran system has stopped supporting installation/updates of deployments:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 for machines where the Application Server was installed
- the MS SQL 2008 database was used.
What should you do if your Ekran System Application Server is running on Windows Server 2008 R2?
You can still keep using your current version of Ekran System, but it will no longer be possible to install/update it to v. 6.27.1 or higher.
To update you need to transfer your MS SQL 2008 databases to one of the following: MS SQL Server 2019, MS SQL Server 2017, MS SQL Server 2016 or MS SQL Server 2014.
To assist you with this process, we have prepared a step-by-step guide to the transfer.
The transfer is performed via the MS SQL Studio. You can find the latest version here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-ver15 .
1. Open the MS SQL Studio >> Click the "Connect" button in the top left corner and choose the "Database Engine" option. After entering the credentials you can find the SQL server details in the "Object Explorer" menu on the left side.
2. Right-click the needed database (for me it is "SERVER.EkranManagementDatabase") >> mouse over the "Tasks" >> "Back Up".
3. Here you can see the backup options. If you want to change the backup folder or file name click the "Add" button >> "...". Click "OK" when you finish.
Note: It is necessary to keep in mind the location of the backup. It is required in step 5.
Important! By default, the backup file is put in the "Backup" folder, but for some reason, it was not displayed there when I browsed for it (step 5). The workaround can be moving it to the Desktop.
4. Connect to the destination MS SQL Server (as shown in step 1). To create a new database right-click the "Databases" folder and choose the "New Database" option.
Specify the database name (it should be the same as the backed-up one) and click "OK".
5. Right-click the newly created database and choose the "Tasks" >> "Restore" >> "Database" option.
In the "Source" menu choose the "Device" option and click the "..." button >> "Add" and choose the previously backed up database.
Go to the "Files" page(you can find the appropriate button in the top left corner) and put a checkmark near the "Relocate all files to folder" option. Click "OK" after finishing all the steps.
Also, go to the "Options" page and put a checkmark near the "Overwrite the existing database (WITH REPLACE)" option.
Click "OK" after finishing the steps above. If the restoration is successful you will get this message.